Friday, September 12, 2014

COLUMBUS STATUE

Columbus Day, better known as Dia de la Raza in Puerto Rico, is celebrated on the island on October 13 this year.  I found an article about a statue of Columbus and since that holiday is coming soon, I thought I would include it in the blog.  The article is about a 300-foot statue of Christopher Columbus.  Nobody seemed to want the statue in the United States, but it has found its way to Puerto Rico.  Click on the link below to read the article about this huge statue and then answer the questions that follow.

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/300-foot-columbus-statue-going-up-on-pr-coast-after-two-decade-odyssey-95570.html


TASK:  Read the article and then answer the questions below.  Copy the questions.  Leave a space between each question & answer.

1.  Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?

2.  Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico?  Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

3.  What specifically from the article stood out for you?  In other words, what did you find surprising? 

4.  What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

5.  What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?

DATE DUE:  October 7, 2014

Evaluation:  15 points (15 response, 5 punctuality & following instructions) 

8 comments:

  1. 1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?

    a while ago I had heard something on the radio now, but not if it is the same story. but really do not pay attention

    2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

    I do not agree that invest so much money on a statue in Puerto Rico when economically not right. If desaen make a statue in memory of Cristobal Colon can do something smaller and less expensive


    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?

    The size and price. Is incredible to think of doing something so huge and with that price. Additional a man 80 years supervising the work


    4.What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    I personally do not think it necessary to invest so much money. I know it's part of history and dedicate a day for me is enough

    5.What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?

    Puerto Rico is an island that should display your plants, forests and natural areas, but unfortunately in my personal opinion on crime, the government does not help, Puerto Ricans themselves with how to behave turn away tourists

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROSE MARY RODRIGUEZ IRIZARRYOctober 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM

    1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?

    Had not heard anything about this news. I come now to find out.

    2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

    I agree and it would be interesting to see a statue of a discovered America. But then no serious would good as an expense too great for our country.

    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?

    I found this article very interesting and I was surprised to know about such a giant statue. I would like to see it so be more impressive.

    4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    My opinion about Columbus is that it would be totally interesting to see the statue of the man who discovered America. Now that was so long to reach this conclusion, discovering America and is a super imporant realmete man. Therefore it is important to give this day as holiday to stay home so dscansando and analyzing all trips qe given only to discover america and so become so important.

    5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?

    I think it might also make a boat like the Colon Cristopbal use to take these trips and also do something huge for people to know what were the routes that use this character to reach the end to find Ameriaca. So schools can make trips to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?
    I've never heard of this paper, it is the first time I've heard of it and read it.


    2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
    Well I do not think it's a good idea because its cost is quite high and Puerto Rico has many debts and the money to be used on the statue are used in really ecesarias things for Puerto Ricans, such as education.


    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?
    The first thing that surprised me was the height of the statue is 300 feet cua, then your cost if brought to Puerto Rico and also the supervisor of the work, a serious persoa 80 years of age.


    4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)
    My opinion about Columbus is that it is interesting and will be a majestic attraction if the project will bring and assemble shall conduct, but on the other hand I think is unnecessary inthis spend this time working as the island is not in the best of times and has many problems to solve. On the other hand would increase tourism and could have positive results but maybe another time.


    5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?
    For first control and second crminalidad care and maintain tourist sites clean and in good condition to maintain greater interest in tourists and want to return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?

    *The truth had never heard anything about this news.

    2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

    *I agree in having the statue in memory of Cristobal Colon, but I think they'd done smaller and more economical.

    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?

    *The size, price and also the governor of PR accept it as a gift and spending 2.4 millonesen public funds to bring to the island.

    4.What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    *My opinion on the Columbus is it would be very interesting to see the statue of the person who discovered america. but I do not agree that hubiensen invested so much money on the statue.

    5.What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?

    *We are an island visited by many tourists, but I think they should improve many things in this country as bad news by the way we behave and what we do not attract people to visit our tourist sites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?


    Had not heard anything about this news. I come now to find out.

    2 Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?


    Well sounds interesting please consider whether New York has the Statue of free, Italy has Tower of Pisa Paris Eiffel Tower. That Puerto Rico could not have a statue that would represent something of history and our roots. But something of a series of other spending and that the economy is not to pour money into a pillar can use it on other more important things. I think there are better things that can be highlighted to Puerto Rico without making a statue

    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising

    The time you have the project which has never been carried out


    4.What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    I think it was a man with ambitions and intelligent. But if we think would have to acknowledge many others who have been part of history and have done things for Puerto Rico.

    5.What do you think would be done to Attract more tourists to this side of the island?


    Puerto Rico has many things for tourism but if we can not use us to know what we have in our Isla del Encanto .And we know that all benefits to investing there will a good move for tourism in the country. There who know how to use the beauty of our island and culture

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1 Had you heard about this news before reading this article? If so, how?

    No, I had never heard of this news.


    2 Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

    Puerto Rico is having good progress, but I think that there much bigger problems in the country to spend 20 million dollars on a statue, and it would be a great monument but not for that money.


    3 Specifically from the article What stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?

    Christopher Columbus was a great element to the history of the USA and PR and there admittedly, but was also a slave trader .

    4 What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    think that there are more important things in this country that should be priority such as education to spend so much money on a statue.


    5 What do you think Could Be done to Attract more tourists to this side of the island?

    I would conduct water parks, more local businesses "chinchoreos ''.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Had you heard about this news before reading this article ? If so, how?

    I’m Never had heard of this event.


    2. Do you agree with having this statue erected in Puerto Rico? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

    Do not agree to do this project because if they do it would cost too much and this is an unnecessary expense, in addition to hiring employees go outside and do not Puerto Ricans who really need a job to make money to stay here and to take forward this country.



    3. What specifically from the article stood out for you? In other words, what did you find surprising?

    It would be the tallest structure in the Caribbean and among the tallest statues in the world, a monument to Christopher Columbus in a region where it has not been regarded highly for many years.



    4. What is your opinion about Columbus? (minimum 2 sentences)

    I believe that if Columbus had not reached would not be here today. But we should remember and be extremely grateful but memory and be a little more responsible and aware as the budget of this country is not for that.



    5. What do you think could be done to attract more tourists to this side of the island?

    I believe that to attract tourists to this area, we should have around and clean beaches, sporting events and more best hotels with all its amenities and entertainments example horseback riding, biking, rappelling among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. No I hadn't.

    2. I don't agree. It's not a good idea ti buildsuch big statue.

    3.But the plan ran into trouble when aviation authoritie siad the proposed location would interfere with flight paths, and residents whose homes would have to be demolished to make way for the statue protested the plans. Then Columbus went into storage.

    4.Was an important of P.R. Columbus always believed that it was life in this island.

    5. To attract more tourists to this side of the island. We have to make more buisness and explote our natural beauties.

    ReplyDelete