Friday, October 31, 2014

PUERTO RICO DOES DO IT BETTER!

When we watch, listen to or read the news, most of it is about crime, corruption, and negative aspects about our country.  I firmly believe we need to focus more on the positive things.  Puerto Rico and its people have a lot to offer.  It ticks me off when I hear people talk so negatively about the island and Puerto Ricans in general.  Sure, there are many things that could be a lot better, but sometimes people make such derogatory comments and act as if these things ONLY happen in Puerto Rico.  I just ask myself....are these people doing anything to make Puerto Rico a better place to live in or are they just complaining?

For this blog I will share some POSITIVE things about our island and will ask you to do the same.

1.    In NASA's 20th annual Great Moonbuggy Race (2013), 89 teams participated.  Both the high school division and the college division were won by Puerto Rican teams.  The high school students were from Yabucoa and the college students were from the University of Puerto Rico at Humacao.

Read the article:  http://www.space.com/20947-nasa-moonbuggy-race-winners.html

2.  Rincón will be the first town in Puerto Rico to prohibit the use of plastic bags in stores starting in January 2015.  They have studied the impact of plastic bags on the environment and have decided to take action. This has been done in other countries and has been very successful.  I just hope the whole island decides to do the same.

Read the article: 

http://www.elnuevodia.com/vientoenpopalaeliminaciondebolsasplasticasenrincon-1834021.html#comentarios


3.  Sometimes people think that bigger means better.  Universities are not the exception.  Many people have not heard about Columbia Centro Universitario, or if they have, they tend to have a negative image of it.  The Nursing program is one of the best in the area.  In fact, 98% of the students at the associate degree level and 100% at the bachelor degree level passed the board exam in December of 2013.  


Task:  Read the 3 articles and then answer the questions that follow.  Copy the question.  Double space between each response.

1.  Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?

2.  Which article did you like the most?  Why?
3.  What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
4.  Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags?  Why or why not?
5.  Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia?  Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia. 
6.  Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico.  Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link.   Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).  

DATE DUE:  November 25, 2014


Evaluation:  25 points (20 response; 5 punctuality & following instructions)






7 comments:

  1. 1. Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    * i never heard about this 3 good news to me.
    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?
    *i like the most , the article of columbia because i study there , and im surely one day be part of that porcent of the people who pass the exam.
    3. What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
    *to never give up, and never bring atenttion to the bad news, focus only on the good things , because we have a lot of this.
    4. Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    *its a really good idea because we need to stop mees up the enviroment , in my house i recicle and i agree to quit the bags of all the supermarkets.
    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.
    *i hear really good things about columbia, i studdy on interamericana university in san german and i didnt like it, i move on columbia because is more simply and dinamic.
    6. Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).
    Edaliz Medina Rodriguez ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    Prior to reading the articles, I honestly had not heard of them or had read none.

    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?
    The article that I liked the most was the second that talked about the elimination of plastic bags in the town of Rincon, since I find it a very positive step for the environment and to reduce pollution.

    3. What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
    The positive message I think these 3 products provide is that eventhough it is an island so small Puerto Rico does it better and sinuses join what we propose and succeed in all aspects and we spare intelligence and desire to strive.

    4. Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    Yes, I think it's an excellent idea to ban plastic bags because we live in a country with highly contaminated soils and to ban plastic bags are contributing will be to be healthier soils

    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.
    Well, I've heard of the 2 both positive and negative. Positive is that they have always told me that the teachers are excellent and care for the student to succeed, plus if you do not lose any quarter end up in a short time the chosen career and something negative I have said and I checked is that because the scholarship must be left without studying a semester because they have plenty of pocket to pay the students.

    6. Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).
    The article discusses the Industrialization found in Puerto Rico. This development is described in three phase which are to strengthen the economy of this Country. We said that to boost the sugar industry was to enter the tariff system of the United States. And so the American home investors discovered the potential of development in Puerto Rico and also began investing.
    To me this article is very interesting because it explains how it was that the Island began Industrialization has put forward. I also think it is important because Americans realized it was worth the effort and decided to invest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROSE MARY RODRIGUEZ IRIZARRYNovember 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM

    1. Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    - Well if I had heard about the Columbia University Center, although as mentioned in paragraph is not a popular college so to speak, but good study people who get better benefits than those obtained at other universities. And if he had heard in college that Columbia is one of the highest in revalida departure.

    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?
    - I liked more because they do not speak Columbia University in which I prepare to be a professional. I feel proud that positive things about the place I prepare professional is told. Although it is sad to not be popular but in some cases students have good service

    3. What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
    - These messages for me to understand say that Puerto Ricans do not see as negative things because among all have positive and good things that happen every day.

    4. Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    -That's a great idea, better than that. So be less pollution in many places. These bags take long years to decompose. So landfills will not be as crowded. It is wonderful idea I loved. While here in PR ay places which do not use bags.

    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.
    - One of the serious negative things that have a very poor service that they take about 10 months to deliver the books that students pay. And also that the scholarship and who cheat. The positive things I've heard about this university is that all or most students revalidan pass with good grades. They have good teachers and schedules are super comfortable.

    6. Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).
    - Title: Launch new juice produced in Puerto Rico.
    Author: The new day
    Date: November 24, 2014
    Source: Periodico the new day
    Link: http://www.elnuevodia.com/lanzannuevojugoelaboradoenpuertorico-1898362.html
    This article discusses the natural juices Richy brand, launched its new product Richito, a refreshing juice made in Puerto Rico that contain 100% Vitamin C. This fact in five flavors and is a well-crafted juice for children. It was created in Cayey. The natural juice can be stored at room temperature and is pasteurized noncarbonated. My opinion is that we are not wrong in Puerto Rico because as I read launched a new juice called richito for children. They are very healthy, this is good so that children remain hydrated and it is best that this in five flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    The issue of plastic bags had heard rumors of such clkientes visiting the supermarket where I work. Read articles but neither of the three
    2) Which article did you like the most? Why?
    The three I find interesting though I like the college since I was'm in a reputable university
    3) I find it interesting that of nasa's good that students name Puerto Rico in matters like this.
    What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
    although it is said that the youth of Puerto Rico is under a lot of crime this shows that not all the same there are those who fight and lead by example.
    4) Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    I personally am between yes and no, somehow veneficia who is storeowners who spend money on them.
    5) Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.
    Negative: Sometimes I hear and I include in that report that the organization sometimes absent. I say from previous experience. Positive: the students here are well prepared.
    6) Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).
    Children looking away from drugs with positive news
    Autor: Frances Rosario More than 300 elementary school children have decided to move away dde drugs and exposing their talent. These children have struggled taking classes to help them prove they have talent. Children have been positively expressed about what they do and are very happy withthe work they do. is positive to see that there are children who want to overcome.

    http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/puerto- rico/nota/ninosbuscanalejarsedelasdrogasconnoticiaspositivas-1008429/





    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    Had heard of eliminating plastic bags in the town of Rincon. I went shopping at the supermarket of the people and I had to take it in my hands.

    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?
    I liked the news about the nursing licensure examination results. When I read this news I field very proud to choose this university for my preparation. I hope to have the same results.

    3. What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?
    We Puerto Ricans are fighting people who try to make the world aware that for most small our territory we have our own merits and are able to think ahead about the welfare of the whole world.

    4. Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    Puerto Rico does not recycle and landfills are full, no longer fits so much garbage. I think in part that serve to awareness the damage caused by the bags and could be a way to start recycling.

    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.
    I hear more positive things. They say it has more preparation in the field of health and do very good nurses. But I also hear that because their accreditation is a university of high cost.

    6. Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author/source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your opinion (2-3 sentences).
    http://diariodepuertorico.com/2014/10/nominan-hotel-de-la-isla-como-de-mejor-diseno-en-las-americas-y-en-el-mundo/
    O: live Boutique Hotel was nominated as the best design hotel in the Americas and the world at Boutique Hotel Awards.Se noted for its concept of living in Mediterranean style in the Caribbean. It's a special trip for the culture and lifestyle of four European Mediterranean coasts: the coast of Morocco, Italy, France and Spain. The management of the guest said it was just two and a half years of its opening. It is part of the luxury hotels marketer Small Luxury Hotels of the World. has 15 rooms, a restaurant for those who enjoy Mediterranean cuisine and the "rooftop" on the roof of the building. It is located in Aguadilla Street in Condado and steps from the Condado Lagoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Before reading the articles, had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?

    He had heard about the porsentajes through cordinador associate degree nursing Mr. Luis Mercado. He had heard about the bags in the beauty salon and once went to see mr.special and I knew I got plastic bags and paper bags according to the cashier that was an experiment. About students as I had not heard of it. but I'm glad Puerto Rico stand out over others and not always be negative news.

    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?

    I liked it but the percentage since the board exams on campus yauco jumps to that in which I study and I feel much prouder of study at Central Columbia University.

    3. What positive message do you think these articles say about Puerto Ricans?

    That despite our size map and economic problems and violence and deaths there are always people who dedicate themselves to excel and do the right thing and.

    4. Do you think it's a good idea to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?

    If the plastic because if I'm not mistaken is the most complex material and years it takes the earth to absorb.

    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things about studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing you have heard about Columbia.


    I hear more positive than negative things. But I've always heard students complain much because it is very expensive. one of my serious complaints when pedia a book by the university that was for that semester beginning gave me another. Choose to send a request by other means.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Before reading the articles, Had you heard or read about any of these? If so, where?
    * Actually had only heard about the article that hiban to ban the use of plastic bags, I heard in supermarkets.

    2. Which article did you like the most? Why?
    * Actually the article that I liked the most was the second prohivicion talking about the use of plastic bags as well we can reduce pollution in the environment.

    3. What do you think positive message in Original articles acerca Puerto Ricans say?
    * I think the three articles allows us to see and know that despite that we are a very small island always make the difference, if we join together to succeed in any aspect.

    4. Do you think it's a good idea to to prohibit plastic bags? Why or why not?
    * I think a good idea would side but not the other, because if prohibit the use of plastic bags we would do a little complicated when we go shopping and do the other side is good because so.

    5. Do you hear more negative or more positive things acerca studying at Columbia? Mention one positive thing and one negative thing You Have Heard acerca Columbia.
    * For e heard of the two positive and negative; on the positive side and always heard it's a very good and high school teachers excellently prepared and we can finish any profession quickly and as for the negative because the problem of the scholarship does not cover at a certain time and there that wait to fill up again and cover enough credits.

    6. Now find a good news article about Puerto Rico. Provide title, author / source, date (if available), and link. Summarize the article in YOUR own words (3-5 sentences) and give your feedback (2-3 sentences).
    * Title: "Puerto Rico in trouble"
      Author: Maria Cela
    Source: the new day
    Date: 24 / Aug / 2013
    Link http://www.elnuevodia.com/puertoricoenportadaderevistafinanciera-1580672.html
    * Are trying to challenge the tax measures that somehow or another can sufficiently reduce the debt to Puerto Rico. They also wonder if the local economy can survive with a higher tax burden, which I find so they can not take charge.

    ReplyDelete